Wednesday 10 February 2016

Oh Those Darn RULES!!!

RULES.
Do you follow "the rules" or do you break them?
Who makes these rules anyways? 
I've been debating as to whether or not I could use a sheet for the solids in this design,
*
Jenny makes it look so easy.
Three Rivers Quilters Gallery
Same design but bolder colours. Beautiful.
*
I've read about thread count and the arguments against and those for putting sheets to use.
I just can't see any reason not to use sheets. My budget, which is tighter than a fiddle string, won't allow for the purchase of high end solids for such a project but I really want to sew this quilt.
Thoughts?


7 comments:

  1. A good quality sheet can be nearly as expensive as high end solid fabrics, and a lesser quality sheet is likely to be way off grain and cause you no end of headaches trying to use it. Have you looked into American Brand solids? They have over 50 colors and last time I checked their price was reasonable. Nice quality, but prewash because there is a bit of shrinkage.qr

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say use what you have....unless you are going to enter this quilt into an international show or something, don't worry about it. Have fun, be creative, and don't look back. This is what our passion is all about - creating, and the joy it brings. Hang the rules. (Grin)
    Quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I agree with both commenters above. I have used a high quality, high thread count cotton sheet before. This quilt was for myself, though. For giving to someone else, I always use quilting solid fabrics. Using store coupons helps on the price a lot. If you have a local Joann's Fabrics, they usually have coupons :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm planning on using some white sheets in a quilt as i can't afford the kona. I've also got some duvet covers to use as backing andbhave seen others do it. Surely vintage quilts were made from sheets and old clothes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm planning on using some white sheets in a quilt as i can't afford the kona. I've also got some duvet covers to use as backing andbhave seen others do it. Surely vintage quilts were made from sheets and old clothes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you already have the sheets, I say use them. I wouldn't if I was making a show quilt, but for a "use it" quilt --any cotton fabric is just fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, and I know the rules - but if I see a need to break them, then I do it.

      Delete

Your comments make my day!